Friday, May 01, 2009

Coachella Round Up

Coachella! Woo-hoo!! My favorite 3 days of the year. The Whip reared her head a few times but just to keep everyone on somewhat of a schedule; the beautiful people kept the Rock Garden hopping; the Beershoe was invented; and we discovered we had a ninja among us. We’ll all be hard-pressed to fill the void left in our hearts, but are looking forward to doing it all again next year.

Sean did a MUCH better round-up and review of the acts, being the darling rock critic that he is, but here's my take on the weekend for what it's worth.

No one act really stood out as my favorite, or the best, act of the entire weekend. I just saw a lot of really solid sets from really solid bands.

Favorite Acts of the Weekend

Solid Sets, Had Fun (no particular order)
  • Thievery Corporation
  • Franz Ferdinand
  • TV on the Radio
  • Peanut Butter Wolf
  • Crystal Method
  • Chemical Brothers
  • Groove Armada
  • Christopher Lawrence

Wished it hadn’t been so f-ing hot so I could have stayed and listened longer
  • Amanda Palmer. Super self-possesed broad; felt less embarrassed about drinking straight from wine bottle after seeing her set. .
  • Brian Jonestown Massacre. I’m glad I at least sat through a few songs because the universe rewarded my venture into the 100+ degree weather by having Zia from Dandy Warhols take the stage. Totally worth sweating through my ENTIRE outfit to see that.

Best new finds
Peanut Butter Wolf
Etienne de Crecy
Late of the Pier. Benefits of having beer gardens set up near stages – you can still discover new bands while doing absolutely nothing.

Worst Act of the Weekend
Crookers. O. said it best: it’s like the 909ers found techno. And then ruined it.


No comments: