Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Sleepless Nights

It's 6:00am in the morning and I'm awake.  Awake, people.  Something is seriously wrong with this picture.  I can't remember the last time I slept through the night.  It has to have been at least 4 months.  I used to be a champion sleeper - I could sleep for at least 10 hours at a stretch.  The interrupted sleep started a few months ago - I'd get up every 2-3 hours a night because the babies were squishing my bladder.  But over the past few weeks things have gotten worse - I've been waking up every hour.  Every hour, people.  Naps last longer than an hour.  These sleepless nights have less to do with bathroom breaks and more to do with the babies making life miserable for me.  If Baby B isn't wedging her head under my rib cage, then Baby A is practicing her soccer kicks against my stomach.  Well-meaning people tell me it's my body getting ready for night time feedings.  Which is little comfort as I'm propping my eyelids open with toothpicks at 2pm. 

Luckily, I'm on maternity leave now - which frees up my mornings and afternoons for naps.  Hopefully, I'll be able to catch up on all of the sleep I'm currently missing. 

No comments: