Monday, April 09, 2007

Planet Earth

My new favorite show for the moment is Planet Earth. Or as Sean likes to call it "Mortal Stab Wounds From Around Our Dying Planet."

The Discovery Channel is airing a show call "Planet Earth" and it's fantastic. Each hour long show is dedicated to a specific topic, such as Great Plains, Shallow Seas, Desert Plains and so on. One of our Discovery Channels (I think there are about a gazillion variations of Discovery something) is HD. So the show looks AMAZING on our tv. And you know me, show me bright shiny colors and I'm hooked.

Contrary to what Sean says there is very little maiming. He just happens to sit down at the couch at the exact moment the "kill or be killed" fights for survival are on screen.

The most important lesson I have learned from watching this show: I will NEVER go swimming in the shallow seas of Indonesia. There are swarms of attacking sea snakes that feed on the fish that live near the coral reef. Watching that segment on tv gave me heebie-jeebies that I'm still trying to shake off.

1 comment:

Sean said...

I would just like to comment that, while I love animals and hate to see them in pain, I do not philosophically have an issue with nature programs showing the reality of life (and death) in the wild kingdom. But for some reason, the last thing I want to watch when I come home from a hellaciously stressful day at the office is, for example, a polar bear unsuccessfully trying to fend off imminent starvation by repeatedly attacking a herd of walruses. It feels like I'm watching my day reflected back at me in some sort of inverse metaphor (you know, because reality can't be a metaphor for reality, unless the walruses and polar bear are mimes, maybe), and it totally freaks me out.