Monday, July 02, 2007

Never Doubt Paula



OK. Lesson learned. I've watched Paula's Party enough times that I should trust the woman. So, when a recipe calls for butter - never, under any circumstances, substitute it with margarine. Ever. I can already hear Paula chastising me for doing that.

Over the weekend I made spritz cookies for a friend's birthday. The first batch came out great. But when it came time to do the second batch I realized I didn't have enough butter. I did, however have margarine (Brummel and Brown to be precise). And the recipe - in my Betty Crocker Cooky Book - called for 1 c. butter or margarine - so I figured I was safe. I was not safe. The cookies were not safe. In fact, the second batch of cookies never came to be. The dough turned gummy - it was the same consistency of silly putty. In fact, I'm pretty sure I stumbled upon the recipe for silly putty.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I figured that out a while ago myself. Brummel & Brown is neither butter nor margarine. It's "yogurt cheese".

Which you can learn how to make from Alton brown on Good Eats. :D