Monday, September 08, 2008

Our Weekend

It was a lazy weekend, broken up with a brief burst of productivity and going out to eat.

Organization
We ran out of bookcase space about 1 year ago. We’ve spent the last year piling the new books we’ve bought on the floor, on desks and next to our existing bookcases. Last weekend we finally bit the bullet and bought the bookcase we’d been eye-ing at Ikea for the last year. This was a big commitment, because while the Ikea bookcase fit our price range, it came at a heavy cost (literally); those pesky Swedes expect you to put it together yourself. Which we did. Or, rather, Sean did while I alphabetized our books. (although I did offer the occasional help pounding the shelves together – and came up with a few brilliant suggestions to help make the shelves line up so the screw would make it into the hole).

Did I mention – after living together for 3 years – we FINALLY merged our book collections. Yes, I waited until I knew the marriage was actually official before I merged our books together. There’s something very final about merging the last bastion of your singlehood with another person. It’s important to note that Sean hasn’t once brought up the topic of merging our music collections. I think it’s because, secretly, he doesn’t want my Boyz II Men Christmas Melodies CD (my taste in junior high was shockingly embarrassing) knocking boots with his Joy Division albums.


…Which brings me to this weekend: I finished putting away the books that didn’t fit on the new bookcase. We put those on the old bookcase in the living room.

Good Eats
We went with our friends G. and A. to Jason’s Downtown in downtown Santa Ana. We discovered this place during the Santa Ana pub crawl last month. And it almost didn’t happen. This place is open at the weirdest hours – every time we could make it there, it was closed. It was as though the restaurant didn’t want to get new customers. Luckily, we were able to make it

The food was great food; so was the interior design – very polished. And the bathroom had the best sinks: glass, almost flat with a slight curve so the water would drain. And the water didn’t come out of a regular faucet; the faucet looked like a regular open pipe and you moved a portion of the pipe up and water gushed out. And the white sangria was delicious.

2 comments:

Sean said...

"It’s important to note that Sean hasn’t once brought up the topic of merging our music collections."


LIES!!! I've brought it up a couple of times, and YOU'RE the one who always shoots me down. I think it's because you don't want my Bjork CDs mingling with your Jimmy Buffett collection.

Erika said...

LOVE the bookcase. I have a similar one form IKEA but mine is the TV/Bookcase combo. I agree that it is a pain in the A^& to put that swedish furniture together. I thought I struggled enough getting it into my car....then I opened the boxes!