Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Music 101

As a self-professed audiophile / music snob, Sean has been obsessing over how to introduce music to the girls.  According to the gazillion pregnancy e-newsletters I’m receiving – they all said that the girls would start hearing sounds (or at least become aware of sounds) that week.  So, Sean decided to play DJ for the girls. 

The first step was to determine how to play the music for them.  We hooked Sean’s iPhone up to our portable iPod speaker and placed the speaker on my belly.  The next step proved to be the most difficult.  Not surprising to anyone who knows him and how he feels about music – he obsessed over which song to play first.  He decided that because we’re having two girls – and our goal is to raise strong-willed broads – that he would start with some music by a strong-willed broad. 

He started with “Respect” (Aretha’s version, not Otis’).  Followed that up with “Femme Fatale” by the Velvet Underground & Nico.  After that, we played songs from Neko Case, Wilco, Sonic Youth and Solomon Burke.  He played more songs than I’ve listed – and I’m sure he’ll fill in the missing artists in the comments.

I was surprised that the babies actually responded to the noise.  At a few points, I caught sight of the speaker and it was vibrating violently on my belly.  It was pretty rad.  They didn’t react to all the songs that way – but to a few. 

I’m not sure if they actually heard the noise through all the noise they currently hear in their amniotic sacs – but it was a fun night for us and we’re looking forward to introducing more music to the girls.  Next on my list – Jimmy Buffet, of course. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Though it may not be your "cup of tea," a little bit of classical music might be in order, too. I am partial to Chopin's Nocturnes, but there are tons of recommendations out there. If you need some classical music, I could make a playlist.

Omi Annie

Pat Groble said...

Be careful what you wish for! We too wanted to raise strong-willed girls . . .