Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Engagement Party

For those of you unable to make it to our engagement party a few weekends ago, I've put together a photo re-telling of the event.

And for those of you who were there, enjoy reminiscing about the booze, the heat and the hurling china.

Place: Sean's mom's house in La Verne, CA
Time: Afternoon to late, late evening
Weather: I think the Serengeti was cooler that weekend
We arrived a few hours before the party to help set up. 100 degree heat, no shade, 15 tables, 3 tarps, 60+ chairs. See that look on my face? That's the moment it hit me: "Wait a minute - I pay people to do this." The next thought: "the next time we get engaged, the party will be in Alaska, in mid-December."


After we finished setting up, we tapped the keg, opened up some bottles of wine and the guests started arriving.
FYI - see if you can spot the future Cagefighting Champion of the World in the next photo.
Then the fun started. Courtesy of a well-known and well-loved German, we were informed that it's a German tradition to hurl china at the engaged couple while they cower behind a tarp. I kid, I kid. About the hurling - it's more of a throw. Everything else is true, though. Behold the photos.
Annie was the first to go. Which seems fair given that it's her house. And her only son. You think she enjoyed throwing the dish given the force with which it hit the ground...
And then Babe Ruth here decided the best way to celebrate the engagement of her first born was to also throw a dish. (Get it... Babe Ruth... because she's pointing where she's aiming..)

This one's for those of you who thought I was kidding about cowering behind a tarp...
Despite this look on my face - Sean and I had a great time being the target of our friends and family. It was an ice-breaker (ha! another pun!) that got the party off to a fun, relaxed, loud, laugh-filled start. Which is exactly the kind of party we wanted.
We were thrilled to spend it with our closest friends and family...
... and to eat some really good chocolate-raspberry cake!
The new family: Pat, Steve, Sean, me, Annie, Jim.

No comments: