Monday, September 24, 2007

Rufus Does Judy


Ron Rifkin (aka Arvin Sloane) loves Rufus Wainwright!

Dita Von Teese loves Rufus Wainwright!!

Bruce Vilanch loves Rufus Wainwright!!!

Santino loves Rufus Wainwright!!!!

How do I know this? Because they were all within spitting distance of me and Sean at
Rufus’ Hollywood Bowl show last night. The first three were either two people in front of us (RR and DvT) or two people behind us (BV). Santino – I ran into him just outside my seat. Freaking Santino!!

Last night’s concert was more than just a Rufus Wainwright concert. It was “Rufus Wainwright Sings Judy Garland: Live at the Hollywood Bowl.” He recreated her 1961 concert at the Hollywood Bowl and it was amazing. He didn’t do ‘Rufus does an imitation of Judy’ – that you could have gotten at any of a dozen drag shows. No – he did something better: he did Rufus’ rendition of Judy songs. And it was amazing, energetic, beautiful and one of the best concert experiences I’ve ever had. It’s definitely up there in my top 2 concerts. And it didn’t hurt that we had AMAZING seats. Garden seats, with all the celebrities. (Word of advice: check out Ticketmaster the two days before a show and you’ll notice that a lot of the good/close seats that were previously “sold out” are now are available.)

The big highlight: Rufus coming out in the classic Judy Garland outfit: black nylons, black heels, black hat and black blazer.

Other highlights incude:


Martha Wainwright singing "Stormy Weather" - it was one of my favorite moments of the concert. If I find it on YouTube, I'll post it.


Lorna Luft coming on stage (in a neon pink flowy dress) to belt out a few numbers. She sounds exactly like her mother when she sings. I was hoping against hope that Liza would surprise everyone - but as a faithful Page Six obsessive, I knew that Liza wasn't exactly thrilled with his "Rufus Sings Judy at Carnegie Hall" concert, so I knew that she'd never come out for this one. But I still had my fingers crossed.


All in all - fantastic night filled with Rufus, Judy and celebrity encounters.

No comments: