Sunday, August 24, 2008

Work Trip

Last week, I was in Indianapolis for work. We were on a site visit of both the Convention Center and the brand new Lucas Oil Stadium. It was a pretty fun trip for several reasons: great city, an inside look at a pretty cool stadium, and great food.

Great City

Indianapolis reminds me of Cleveland. It’s an underappreciated city with lots to offer, but people dismiss it because it’s in the Midwest. Now, it could be that I’ve been drinking the Kool-Aid, but I like Indy. Lots of old architecture, including ornate churches, that is missing from the sterile-strip-mall-vastness that is Orange County. Its downtown has a lot of personality with cool little bars and (non-chain!) restaurants. It’s a shame that so much of the city’s personality is covered with snow during our show.


Pretty Cool Stadium
Great Food
A real NY deli in the middle of Indiana? Believe it.
Shapiro’s is the real deal. I had half a pastrami sandwich, half reuben, broccoli salad and boston cream pie. It was the best reuben I’d ever had and will probably go on a mission of eating reubens to see if anything else can compare to Shapiro’s.

Yes – I ate it all. And I loved it.

2 comments:

Punky said...

oh boy, WOW

Erika said...

I LOVE INDY. When I lived there it reminded me of a smaller version of the Twin Cities. Next time you are there I recommend going to Claudagh (? spelling) it is an Irish pub. There is one down town and one up in North Indy.

Also, I like the Ale Emporium on the north side. Bit of a hike from down town (20 min) but a good place to get a beer and some good paninis and pizza.